No real explanation needed here. I’m not necessarily saying that these were originally made poorly, though, some certainly were. Mainly, just movies that I’d like to see re-visited with maybe more money, or just modern techniques/technologies.
1. Twilight. All of them. I know, these movies are new, and were made using a cruise-liner full of cash, and made even more, but from what I understand the books are actually fairly entertaining. I mean, for that many people to go nuts – something in them had to appeal to someone… That being said – those movies were awful. I mean, from top to bottom, that was some of the worst film I’ve ever seen. The acting was horrendous, the production values at times looked like something from the SyFy channel, and the lines they chose to adapt from the books play like they were chose by a 12 year old monkey. So, wouldn’t it be cool if in 10 years someone came back and actually made these right? Made them so that they’d appeal to everyone, instead of just the crowd that would scream and “awwwwww” anytime they saw the actors in paleface kissing from 13 camera angles?
2. Backdraft. I really liked this movie – a lot of people did. In ’91, though, they just weren’t able to make every scene inside of the fires realistic enough. I definitely think this one could use a reboot with modern CGI and stuntwork.
3. Weird Science. Okay, so, this movie was really campy. And, I don’t really think that should be changed in a remake. But there are so many things that this movie could do now with CGI. (Getting rid of so many puppets, for one.) Plus…let’s bump this one down to say, “R”, instead of that all-so-frustrating “PG-13?”
4. Outland. Sean Connery was in this old-school sci-fi flick that had a bit of a Firefly feel to it. I really think this one should be revisited – definitely with a darker feel. What can I say? I just can’t get enough of the deep space western genre…
5. Logan’s Run. This movie had everything going for it. A solid script. Decent acting. Underlying dark premise. The Future as we thought it would be from the 70s. Unfortunately…it also had the 70s. This movie has everything that makes a great sci-fi movie – it just needs that modern kick in the pants!
Honorable Mentions: Kelly’s Heroes, The Great Escape, Maximum Overdrive.